Sunday, February 3, 2008

Captain Beefheart

Did I ever mention that I love Captain Beefheart? Right now I'm listening to Trout Mask Replica and I love it. The other guys in my band hate it, but I think it's brilliant. Granted, the guitars are marginaly in tune and the drums are sloppy, but that's part of the charm. Zoot Horn Rollo is just a fantastic free form slide wierd nut case guitar player and Van Vliet's lyrics are the most sublime beat poetastery around. His words are like a free associative Roershack Dali improv acid trip. I love it. I was exposed to Trout Mask and Clear Spot years ago along with the Zappa collaborations, but I was only recently introduced to the masterpieces Shiny Beast and Doc at the Radar Station. Great twisted demented stuff. Maybe Tom Waits and Les Claypool come close.

No comments: