Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Cymbals!

Here's a cool thing. Last Saturday I went to The Toad Tavern to practice a bit before my clinic. I got the drums all set and Tony told me to grab my pick of the cymbals he'd brought down. So I set up a nice array: 20" dark ride, 17" thin crash, 16" dark crash, 14" hats, and a 10" splash. OMG! These cymbals were amazing. The ride has a heavy, dark ring to it. The crashes have a short sustain, but they cut through bright and edgy. The splash has a weird trashy tone that I like. Actually I think the thing that stands out the most to me are the cymbal bells. They have a really unique timber. Even on the crashes, I can ride the bells and the tone is bright, clear, and clarion. Bottom line? I love this gear. So anyway, I played the clinic and when I was done I asked Tony what he wants me to do with the cymbals to set up for the Dave Nezat clinic and he tells me to just keep them! I gotta be careful, I could really get comfortable with this kind of treatment.

No comments: