Saturday, April 26, 2008

RTF Romantic Warrior

I've been listening to Prog and Fusion since they were invented and (don't laugh now) somehow I missed this album for 30 years. My guitar player, Frank D'Angelo, turned me on to it just this week and it's all I've been listening to. It's not like I don't know the band or the musicians. I saw Chic Corea play with Mirislav Vitous and Roy Haynes. I saw Al Di Meola play with John Mclaughlin, Paco De Lucia and Steve Morse. I saw Al Di Meola open up for Jean Luc Ponty. I've seen Stanley Clarke play with Ponty. I have RTF "No Mystery" and "Light As a Feather". I have Di Meola, Chic Corea, Lenny White, and Stanley Clarke solo records. Somehow, I just never heard this one until this week. All I can say is OMG! This disc is amazing. It's very jazz, but it's also very Prog. The first tune Medieval Overture feels a lot like what Gentle Giant was doing in the day. The last track Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant is epic. Of course it's very jazz fusion, but it's also very Prog. Towards the end it breaks down into a pseudo-baroque counterpoint (again, very GGish) and the conclusion sounds like it's in the same key and uses the same synth patch as a piece by Kansas. It might be Icarus: Bourne On Wings of Steel. Whatever, this disc is a must. Great stuff, glad I found it after all these years. Thanks Frank. Oh by the way, Lenny White's drumming on this disc is phenomenal.

No comments: