Monday, July 27, 2009

Loss of a giant

I just learned of the passing of Jim Chapin, the man who wrote the book on coordinated independence. I have to say that his book is the seminal work on drumset indentendant coordination. I discovered it in the early '70's and begged my teacher to walk me through it. Surprisingly, I introduced a student to this wonderful text only yesterday! Mr. Chapin's book is one of the finest drum books ever published and he is one of the most inspirational figures in drumset music. He is a shining example that you don't have to be a recording or performing star to be a profound and moving force in music. I don't have a single recording of Jim Chapin playing, however his book is one of the single most memorable and influential works in my library!

1 comment:

School of Commercial Real Estate Investing said...

What you say about Jim Chapin is all very true. It is sad to see him go but his legacy will live on for years and years. He contributed a lot to the drum world and will not be forgotten.

http://www.patrickmclaughlin.blogspot.com