Sunday, December 16, 2007

Prog Is Not All (all is not prog)

Okay, I just want to set the record straight on one thing. I have been accused in the past of only liking really complex music. This accusation is completely unwaranted. While I do spend much of my time blabbing about complicated meter changes, counterpoint, polyrhythms, and such, I actually enjoy a lot of simple music. For instance I love the music of John Fogerty, David Byrne, Gordon Lightfoot, and Johnny Cash. Music doesn't have to be complicated for me to enjoy it. In fact there is plenty of complicated music that I'm not even interested in and there are virtuosi that I think are incredibly boring. Music just has to work for me. It has to appeal to something that I'm interested in. That may be complexity, but it may just as easily be nostalgia, humor, politics, surrealism, or any number of other things that appeal to me.

No comments: